Monday 23 December 2013

Momma Monday: cold and flu remedies for kids


It's the same time of year for both my kids when they get sick and it's the same symptoms every time. The infamous runny nose with boogers dripping down there face, fevers, dry hacking coughs, congestion and overall just plain miserable. I've found some tried and true remedies that have surely helped my kids kick the cold and feel better in no time!

LEMON TEA WITH HONEY AND BROWNSUGAR
I find this is the best thing for a child with a sore throat from coughing constantly. The lemon tea cleanses their systems and the brown sugar and honey soothes their throat, plus it tastes really good :)

STEAMY SHOWERS AND BATHS
Tried and true. Steam and humidifiers are one of your greatest allies with a kid with a stuffy nose and a cough. Stick your kid in the bathroom and run the shower on hot for 5-10 minutes or until it gets steamy in there and let them just sit and relax in the room for a couple minutes or give them a nice warm bath with Epsom salts and bubbles. The steam opens up their airways and helps clean out the congestion. Same with a humidifier put one in there room at night so the air isn't so dry and helps to losen mucus stuck in their nasal passages.

LOTS OF FLUIDS!
keep your child hydrated as much as possible with water, watered down fruit juices or herbal teas that help flush out toxins and replenish the liquids they lose through sneezing and coughing.

TYLONEL AND COUGH MEDICINE
I usually only use these if I'm desperate. I used to use tylonel all the time with my little ones for teething, sickness, fevers, tummy aches, etc. it never really helped. Not to mention they come in a stupid little bottle with a dropper that's 8-10$ in most drugstores, it can be pretty pricey. I buy 0-9 years all-in-one sinus for kids and the 0-9 years day&night cough medicine for kids, it's 10$ for a big bottle at any drugstore and it lasts me forever. I give them 1-2 tsp every 4-6 hours. It helps relieve night time hacking coughs and just helps them sleep better which brings me to my next point...

SLEEP
And lots of it. If your child's older and has grown out of the napping stage, prop them on the couch with pillows, blankets, cartoons, and let them be a couch potato. My kids still nap during the day for 2-4 hours ( lucky me! ) and it does them good. Otherwise they get so frighten cranky and miserable being sick and tired that I want to pull my hair out haha :P 

I hope some of these ideas will help your kids feel better in no time because let's face it, nobody likes a sick child. 

No comments: